By Jim Hagy
Food on a stick was perhaps once just a convenient way to serve the masses at the county fair, but now we’re seeing convenience turn couture with Waffle Pops. This fun trend first launched at the popular California music and arts festival known as Coachella, but it has taken Instagram, Pinterest and the whole country by waves with limitless topping options to please any palate.
We love offering these as an interactive station for our catered events, but they are easy to recreate at home too for kids’ birthday parties or even just an indulgent Saturday morning breakfast depending on which toppings you choose. While these can certainly be created with your go-to waffle mix, we’re sharing the recipe below to our favorite waffle batter that you’ll likely already have all the ingredients for on hand to make.
Once you have your waffle iron hot, add the batter and let it cook for about 20 seconds before sliding in the popsicle sticks and allowing the waffle pops to continuing cooking. This will work with any waffle iron, so have fun making these in various shapes depending on what waffle iron you have on hand.
While you could certainly pre-assemble the waffle pops for your guests, half the fun of these is getting to select your own toppings, so we suggest setting up a station with various icings, melted chocolates and syrups and toppings such as sprinkles, M&Ms, almonds, cereal and fruit for your guests to get creative with!
For a step-by-step demo of how to make Waffle Pops, watch as I play the “Waffle Iron Chef” on this recent Talk of the Town segment: https://www.newschannel5.com/talk-of-the-town/chefs-market-waffle-pops.
Chef’s Market Waffle Pops
Waffle Batter Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour a layer mix onto hot waffle iron. Position wooden popsicle sticks on waffle iron. Add more waffle mix. Close lid and cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Create a waffle pop station with melted dark and milk chocolate, white chocolate and caramel. Present the sauces in bowls or squeeze bottles. Add other toppings like chocolate chips, almonds, coconut, M&Ms and sprinkles. Have fun.